Housejob memories and some thoughts. Don't make things a taboo.

Being a doctor I get to see a lot of emotions and expressions, the genuine ones. The ones which really shake you to the core, while I was doing my House job, I had my duty in the ICU and there was this woman of 80 some years, and things weren't looking good for her at all. Despite being on multiple drugs to bump her blood pressure, there was no adequate response from the frail body. Her family signed the DNR, and there was this moment, when her sons, one would be around 50 and the other one a few years older, they went up to her and bid farewell. That had a profound effect on me, it still does and I get tears in my eyes everytime I relive that memory.
Then there was this another man, he was in his ear;y sixties and had throat cancer. He too was in the ICU, and his younger brother cared for tirelessly,the poor man had left for a few minutes and it was around 8 a.m, he was up almost the whole night and I had my call in that unit again. And it absolutely broke me, when I had to break the news.
Think about that coming from someone who wants to be an ICU doctor, mainly it's because of witnessing something pure, genuine love that attracts me to the ICU. But I don't know, cause these things kill a me a little on the inside every time I remember them but yet again, ICU seems like a wonderful place. You can do something, and make a difference.
I saw a young wife collapsing who couldn't be revived. These things being a doctor you witness every damn day of your life, it foots the bills, it pays me.
I had a young patient, 2 years old and he was diagnosed as a case of Hemophilia, and breaking down the disease to the father I wondered what must be going through his mind, its a sheer trauma. Sadly, this is the part and parcel of this job, sometimes you don't have good news to give.
I have a habit of scrolling through Twitter, the trends are sometimes an interesting read, there was this trend of "motorway incident", being curios I looked it up. And I wouldn't lie, but I felt as if the ground was dragged from beneath my feet, sick to the stomach, it was a different kind of pain.
A mother gangraped in front of her kids. What kind of a fucked up world do we live in. Sure, if you want to bring out the facts to it, there are number of rape cases which happen all over the world, some of such brutality that one can't even imagine.
In a world where talking about sex is a taboo. Where you get the "talk" from your friends and are shunned by the family for even saying that word, where women are taken as sex objects, as objects of gratification, where the ultimate goal is to get married and reproduce. But its not just women, its anyone who can be abused, children, young boys, transgenders, anyone for that matter. But the crowd only cheers for the causes which earn big bucks. The society has set its standards high, we don't view the intellect anymore, it's all being the "eye candy", and its not limited to either of the sexes. Its spread far and wide, we start to label things as being outdated and old, then we stick to the fads and end up fantasizing a whole sick bunch of crowd, who end up taking that fantasy into the real world. You say I'm wrong but if you know a bit about economics, call it the supply and demand thing, and just for a second think how easily various "fetishes" are available for you to "enjoy". Just think, the corporate world doesn't bet on the weak hand, everything is catered to the demands to reap the maximum profit possible. And to make matters worse, there's always this "brush it under the carpet", and this is not limited to a certain country, but worldwide. People don't want things to get out cause its bad for business, its bad for the reputation, its bad for the power holders and all that.
Ever had a pet? I have a dog, and every time he fetches the ball I throw, he gets a treat. So that's augmenting the idea that getting the ball back is a good thing. Similarly, all those times you watch some certain sick sh!t, you're normalizing it for you and then suddenly you get the idea of making it into reality.

It's high time that people stop brushing it under the carpet, and for the sake of sanity, stop blaming the victim. 

Comments

Popular Posts