House job diaries. Incompetence and hypocrisy.

Housejob diary,  yeah that's the right name for this series of post. Before it started I thought it'd be a smooth ride but man was I wrong or what. This has been nothing short of a cheap roller coaster ride, the kind where you are always wondering what'll go wrong next.
Always read the latest guidelines for the commonest encounters you will have, with their local managements and see how the actual guidelines can be made part of the local practice, ask questions even if some times the consultants or residents aren't too pleased. Ask them again when the time is right, but please don't ask why are you giving dextrose to someone who has a blood sugar of 50 mg/dl, that's just not the good question.
One thing I have learnt, incompetence is far more common than you can imagine. From putting in wrong histories to giving the wrong treatment, from not listening to the patients at all to just prescribing every darn test and drug they might've learnt, lol a lot more has to come.
But incompetence just does not stop there, oh no.
Hypocrisy is the next thing you will find to be in abundance. People pretend to be nice and kind, but man they have some real crap to chit chat about, the interesting thing is that such crap always comes to your ears.
The most rewarding thing I have felt is this, when at late night you do rounds of the wards to see if any patient has any active complaints, and you sort out their issues, they really have that vibe of happiness around them which makes you feel so satisfied. But of course, sometimes the issues are beyond your reach even so talking to the patients lets them know that people do care. These are the things which sometimes matter and make the difference.
After talking to others, after seeing the attitude of the nursing staff, when you're able to feel a difference between you and the majority, it just really makes your day. Have good work ethics, it really goes the long way.
I literally enjoy when I hear what crap people have to say about me, but in the end I don't care and why should I care? Do I have the time for them? No, lol my time is for the people in my life, people who are there for a reason and people who always know that their happiness is my happiness.
In short, if you're a doctor or a medical student, please just make that extra effort for each patient cause you never know what can really brighten their days.
If you're a patient or an attendant, please wish that you get good doctors to look at you and your loved ones.
I just hope I can make this habit of being different from the majority a ritual, a necessity cause I'd love a doctor to give that one extra minute, where they acknowledge the human being and not a disease, I'd love that for me and my loved ones.
One month gone, eleven more to go. Looking ahead to all the good things in life, and being a part of that 1% who really make the difference in lives.
People can't be happy ever, there will always be someone who will bitch about, just make sure your work is done meticulously, seek help wherever needed and just work on making the difference!

PS always Appreciate homemade meals!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts