The 21 day love story.

It all started as a dream, a wonderful dream.
It is a peaceful night, the sky is clear, you can see the stars; you could feel some calm in the breeze. Suddenly, I have forgotten how to express my feelings, perhaps there's a drought somewhere or I just am hesitant to let someone else read what I feel.
Everyone has a past, a reason behind a smile, a force driving someone aloof from the surroundings,
the scar they hide under that poker face. Weary footsteps, deep breath, a face to distance the emotions from the expressions.
Half past ten, a cup of coffee on the table, the incandescent light bulb spreading warm hues of light. My imagination has slowly taken a hold of reality, this indeed felt like magic.
I begin to read her letter, a voice breaks the silence, "Hey", confused I look around, who could it be? I have never heard this voice before. As I put the letter down, I do not understand whether to believe what is happening or to rub my eyes open.
"You still had your doubts if I would reply?" 
I simply nod in affirmation, her handwriting brings every word to life, a voice, her voice springs to life and suddenly the dim light is bright enough.
Do I tell her about my uncertainties, do I mention the kind of happiness her letter brings me, what should I even write back.
As I look here and there, lost, I continue with her letter. Slowly the conversation starts to build up, an exchange of thoughts and then penned up in a letter as a reply.
You had asked what do I fear the most, the question should be what should I not fear? This conversation is between absolute strangers, it could be the start of something beautiful but would it be? 
The page is almost finished, I grab a new one, the fine edge leaves a paper cut on my index finger, a small drop of blood stains the edge. I end my letter with the lines
"It could be the start of something but it might not be, whatever it is, I choose to believe in it regardless of what will come out of it. 
You took the first step, it would be an interesting journey, this may be the last letter from you but you never know unless you try."

The next letter, "You said it would be interesting, it is much more than that. I feel connected to you, even though we have never met, it may not be possible to meet but as you said, I too choose to believe"
With each letter, the veil of uncertainty gradually started to lift away, there was something budding, but still it could fall apart as everything else.
We exchanged 21 handwritten letters, it almost took me a whole day to write one letter I was satisfied with.
Slowly there is a face to go with that voice, dressed in green. A bundle of letters stacked roughly over one another. she holds her cup of tea and takes a sip. The eyes meet for a moment and both of us smile.
I still wonder, if all of this is a fantasy, How did we end up here? 
She giggles, Have you forgotten those letters? She points towards the bundle.


Comments

Popular Posts