House job, nostalgia and some lessons

Today is the last duty that I'll be doing as a houseofficer, nostalgia, I can't remember where the time went by. It only felt like yesterday, that, I walked through these ward for the first time with responsibility over my shoulders.
Looking back, I realized that I knew so little back then, but now, I only know a fraction more. Did I have some harsh experiences with people, yes. Did I feel disappointed and frustrated, yes.
Whenever there was the duty of breaking bad news, whenever had to counsel the family regarding the deteriorating condition of their loved one, when I couldn't pick up a finding and co-relate it. The list goes on and on, but you learn from these things.
Most of us start from ground zero, feeling aloof when an emergency comes, the first few days truly give you sleepless nights. You remember your first few patients, they are your wake up call.
Your personality is vital. Some of us are just shy, scared and overwhelmed at how quickly a situation can deteriorate. It is very rare that someone will come up and ask if you need any help.
There were times when I had expectations, you only are disappointed by the majority. The punch, sometimes, comes from the unexpected and you find yourself experiencing the mental trauma. You feel as if there's no one to talk, you feel isolated and it only gets worse if you don't seek to heal yourself.
The good thing is that, after this one year of housejob, you are confident enough to deal with a lot of bullsh!t that people throw your way, f#@k thi!s I can do it myself. Never let someone undermine your confidence, establish an opinion but not after a single interaction, keep your eyes open and this I learnt recently, only reveal your emotions to the selected few. A poker face is what will save you, when in discussion with the majority. Your emotions are valuable, don't dish them out for everyone to see. 

Comments

Popular Posts