Controlled by machines

The new iOS update brought a interesting feature called screen time. I was looking forward to that update because it had a better do not disturb mode. So once I got the phone updated, I curiously opened the screen time app and I was surprised by the amount of time I had spent on social media and networking apps, how many pickups I had, how many notifications. Hours and hours of scrolling through facebook without a reason and without a cause, no wonder I felt my life was so hollow. I was spending time on a social media and just looking at random posts, I could've chosen to read the newspaper and found interesting stuff, or look up a scientific journal, work on my novel or just study (which I should be doing).
After realizing how much time I waste on my phone, I had finally accepted that it was time to say goodbye to excessive usage of my mobile phone, sometimes we get so caught up in the tech that we forget that the real life is outside of the social networking. The more distance I made between my mobile and me, the more positive life feels, for someone like me who gets addicted to the act of scrolling, scrolling and endless scrolling, such an app is essential to help reprogram the life for something productive and fruitful. At first I couldn't leave my phone a few cm away from me, now my phone is downstairs and I don't feel the urge to run downstairs and start using it. I guess I had to register it into my thought process that how much time and life I was wasting.
Another thing which I felt was that, when we follow social media so religiously we tend to forget that there is happiness in our lives too. We become controlled, by the idea of getting satisfaction from materialism. The more you see, the more you are impressed and the more distant you become from your real life. Satisfaction, gratification and happiness leaves you alone, just because you don't have something which would qualify to be yield mainstream happiness.
No one needs to follow anyone, what you have if is productive and fruitful, if it has a positive impact on your life and of those around you, if it helps you to be a better human being, then you need not to follow anyone at all. The power to choose, to be free is something we all should appreciate. Driving a fast car, wearing expensive clothes and shoes, the list goes on, is not the key to happiness. The key to happiness is finding satisfaction and gratification in what you currently have, taking the initiative to improve on what you have and just looking at your own plate.
If you focus on your own, stop following people, stop wasting time scrolling and scrolling, spend time only and if necessary, you will find that life becomes more productive, satisfaction becomes a part of it and it won't feel empty. It will have a significant positive impact on your mental health as well!
I hope I can build more on this positivity and bring some much desired changes in my life.
I also hope I could reverse this hairfall but ah well, it's something that med school blesses with you as you near towards the completion of a journey. and well I can save some time too.

Comments

Popular Posts