Lack of clarity, opinions of others, confusion and June.

There was a set pattern for the housejob rotation, in simple terms six months of medicine and six months of surgery, fair enough, everyone had to do that. I was not a fan of medicine in the start, this was the subject I dreaded as a medical student, to be honest, I was scared of medicine. Surgery made much more sense to me, especially orthopedics, it's broken okay well lets nail it together!
Medicine, well I never understood the subject. It was confusing or perhaps I didn't know to put it all together. My housejob started with medicine and I had heard a lot that medicine is tough; no doubt, it truly was. Anyhow, I had filled my books with annotations and stuff, it was time to put it out in the practical field, it took sometime but then I found my way around it. 

After the six months, I was finally going into Surgery, it was a mixed picture, I had started to like medicine, somewhat. Over the course of the coming months I would end up being more confused as to what field to look into as a possible choice. Now here comes the interesting part, after talking to some people for advice I would just end up running after this and that, there's no clarity!
I had the opportunity to talk to my mentor, afterwards I had some take home messages from the conversation.
First, just relax. I know it's easy to say but hard to follow through.
You don't need to follow everything you hear. Some things are important if you work on them, and some are equally important if you choose not to give them your time. 
Critical analysis is a skill which one needs to develop. 
You need to put your heart in whatever you decide to do.

It was a much needed conversation and it really brushed off the dust of confusion from a lot of things. But the issue you know is, if you don't keep cleaning the crap you hear, it'll all gather back again. So, have a better filtering system in your mind and this can happen if you work on yourself! Impress none but yourself! Make good progress and reward yourself as you are your competition. A healthy competition makes you strive towards improvement, and improvement comes with humility, since you'll be working on improving yourself, it means that you will be thinking on a lot of your practices and one needs to be humble enough to be able to think over their habits, their mindset and eventually, their work process. 

It's pretty darn hot these days, sweat and sweat. If you have Lychees and Plums, well that just makes your day a little better. Ice cold watermelon juice, and that is simply refreshing!
Eat, sleep, and simply relax. 


Comments

Popular Posts