Medicine ward test; it's better to smile

I have a very strange relationship with medicine, its a very complex, if you want to think about what kind of a relationship it is, I suggest you to imagine if you had an introvert personality, and, suddenly you are told to deliver a speech in front of a crowd of college students. You'll be sweating, your legs shaking, your confidence going down the drain as the crowd; you mumble, thinking you make sense but you make no sense at all.
Yeah something like this goes on with me and whenever I give the medicine ward test, I lose confidence one way or the other.
While we were having the OSCE, a patient was breathing his last breaths and alas he passed away as we were rotating between the stations. Soon he was covered in a white sheet from head to toe, I was at a rest station at that time, being someone like me who is sensitive and feels the emotions of everyone who is around, I found it somewhat like a challenge to not think about it. I saw the faces of his relative, sad, teary but life never stops. There were 20 more beds in the ward, everyone carried on their routine. Life does not stop. I wonder how much I would break down when I lose a patient on my duty, medicine is something, nothing less than a gamble. Sometimes you win and your patient survives, sometimes you lose and your patient departs from this world. May be it stings really bad the first few times a young doctor sees such a tragedy but then a deal is struck with faith, we live and then we die. Inhumane it may sound but that is life.
My ward test, I may pass it, I hope I do.
The fear of medicine ward started back in third year, ah I had so many issues back then and then fourth year and then the final year, I came around the fear but I wish I could have done that earlier on.
You have rough days, you have smooth days, you have happy days and the sad ones, life keeps moving. Medicine teaches you a lot of things, but the most beautiful thing it teaches you, never give up, try hard, try again and try to make a difference. What keeps me going is knowing that someday I will be treating someone, and I wish I would save every life I can. You dont get it again, so you should be grateful wherever you are, reading this. Be grateful and learn to smile. Its easier to frown but its better to smile

Comments

Popular Posts