Accepting rejection.

One of the things which I had never thought about was getting a no, being rejected and how to act when that happens. How much it would sting to be told "No"
"No, I cannot help you"
"What you write is not good enough"
"No, I choose not to spend my time with you"
"No, it wasn't my intention to have you think about something else"
"No, I don't want to continue being friends with you"
"No, that did not impress me"

I had interactions, talked to people and I heard all of those, at first I did not know how to accept that and I would question their decisions that wasn't I good, what did I lack, why couldn't I get a yes, aren't I better than what they think. I thought I was special and that people who didn't acknowledge that, they just were missing out on something great.
Still I had no idea of how important getting these "No" was, I had such beautiful lesson yet I was unaware.
A couple of weeks ago, I emailed different professors of english literature and creative writings, most of them did not reply, two of them excused and one of them said what I write was not good enough and it did not impress him.
I asked another professor if she could help me with a research project and she said, no i cannot.
I liked someone but then after misunderstanding a lot of things for "hidden pointers", she cleared it off, and I so grateful for that.
I had friends with whom I tried to reconcile but they didnt want to continue being friends; here and there somewhere it was heard that it didnt impress.

So, all these were learning experiences, fast forward to the present, now I don't feel as if the world ends if "someone" doesn't like my writings, it doesn't sting to be said no, it doesn't hurt to be told a "NO", yeah sure you have some attachments to your work and if you're rejected it does sting, and it should but it doesn't mark the end of the world. if you fail at something, try again with a different approach, the odds will keep changing if you change your approach, learn to accept defeat and learn to accept rejection, it doesn't mark the end of the world and you surely aren't the only one who had to hear "NO" that moment, trust me we all have to hear it everyday in one way or another, make the most out of that "NO" and never stop evolving yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts