Hydrocephalus, Kawasaki disease and Glycogen storage disease

I examined a child with Glycogen Storage Disease Type 1, he was a six year old child, at first he was a bit scared but then slowly I gained his confidence and it was an exciting moment for me. So in Glycogen Storage Disease Type 1 the body is unable to efficiently make glucose and thus the body makes another molecule which is glycogen, now the excess glycogen is stored in liver and kidneys which causes enlarged Liver.
He wasn't vaccinated for any of the infectious diseases, had a swollen belly, his skin was dry and coarse and he had dental caries. The dry skin was due to being malnourished.
I reached to the abdominal examination and for the first time I palpated an enlarged liver and spleen, then I practiced again for a few times till I gained some confidence that I was doing the examination properly. At first that chubby little kid wasn't comfortable but slowly he lost the anxiety and was very cooperative. That was the exciting part.
Then later on, we were in the Pediatric ICU where there was a case of Kawasaki disease, the patient was a 5 year old girl, she had a high grade fever, conjunctivitis, rash all over the body and cracked lips. That's all I could observe since it wasn't my case I didn't do the examination but since the child was very irritable it was very difficult to do it and I would have a very hard time trying to do it if I was presenting the case. After the case presentation was finished, there was another case in the ICU, the patient was a 6 month or a little older, I don't remember the exact age, this little kid was suffering from hydrocephalus, so here the head is enlarged due to excessive cerebrospinal fluid, the doctors had placed a shunt which would transfer the excess fluid from his brain to his abdomen,  now the child was going in distress. The mother was siting on a chair near the bed and she was crying, so much that you could feel the pain she was feeling, her husband and relatives were trying to comfort her but being a mother isn't easy and one can't understand the pain no matter how much one tries. This connection is magical and divine.
That's all for now.
Time to sleep now!

Comments

Popular Posts